We’re known as market disruptors in the transportation and logistics industry, and we continue to expand our offerings so we can best meet our customer’s needs. Whatever you need to be shipped — whether it’s military materials, less-than-truckload shipments, or another volume shipment that doesn’t fit neatly into an existing category — we have a shipping solution for you.
Partials: For when you don’t want to buy the whole truck
In the logistics management of the shipping world, there are times when you need an out-of-the-box option to move your freight from one location to its final destination. If you’re frustrated with the options for your shipment and can’t find a reliable, affordable solution, consider shipping it as a Partial Truckload.
Partials are great for when:
- You don’t want to have to pay full price for an entire truck (because your shipment isn’t that large)
- A typical LTL carrier cannot move your freight because it’s a unique size — maybe it needs to be side-loaded or is too tall for a typical truck
- You’d prefer for your shipment to stay on the same truck for the entire trip and don’t want it to be offloaded and reloaded one or more times before it reaches its final destination
- You’d appreciate having contact with the driver of your shipment, so you know where it is on its journey for the entire trip
You might need a big boy (or girl) truck if…
There are a few scenarios that might trigger you to seek out a shipping partner who can ship partial truckloads (aka big boy trucks). If you’re:
- Looking for a freight quote;
- Experiencing frustration with a complicated shipping challenge;
- Searching for alternative shipping options, so you don’t pay for a full truck, or
- Striving for cost savings…
Then a partial truckload may be a more affordable alternative to shipping your freight.
How partials differ from LTL shipments
If you’re not well-versed in shipping terms, the idea of partials may seem extremely similar to LTL shipping. Here’s how they’re different. Contrary to LTL shipments, which are classified by freight class with rates based on each carrier’s LTL rates by class, partial truckload shipments are larger. They have latitude for innovative pricing and classification. LTL shipments are transported either by van (enclosed truck) or by a truck with an open deck. However, there are times when you have a particular freight need, and neither a van or an open deck will work to meet your unique shipping needs. This is when partial truckloads come into play. When you use a partial truckload, you can benefit because:
- We’ll add your freight to loads with other people’s freight
- These don’t require a freight classification
- As the shipper, you’ll get cost savings
- You can be sure that your freight stays on the same truck for the entire shipping process: no on/off, no reloading.
Another option: hotshot shipping
Even with the possibility of partial truckload shipping, there are times when your freight needs may not fit into one of the “boxes” of services we offer. If you:
- Need an expedited delivery
- Want to explore the most affordable option to move your freight quickly
- Have a one-time shipment
- Have a tall piece and don’t need a full stepdeck
- Need to pick up or deliver in a busy area or where there are narrow roads
We have options for hotshot shipping — a one-off delivery option for customers who have an immediate need for expedited shipping.
An example: moving your car
All of these options may make sense in your head — but let’s put a real-world spin on it. Say you have a car that you need to move across the country. You don’t want to use a car hauler because it’s expensive, and it’s winter, and your car would be exposed to the elements. When you call us at Vestra, we’ll find an option for you to “marry” this shipment with another truckload, saving you the time, energy, and money that you don’t want to spend figuring out the most trustworthy, affordable solution.
Example 2: a reel of cable
When you have a unique object that needs to be transported — like a reel of cable — you might find yourself pulling your hair out when you attempt to find the best shipping option. It’s an odd shape and needs to be side-loaded, so a regular LTL carrier isn’t going to take it. It’s tall, so it can be challenging to fit it into a van. When you call around, most carriers only offer full flatbeds and vans, so you’re at a loss. It’s a very specific need, and there aren’t many options for who can help. This is where our experts shine — we’ll find you an option on a partial truckload — we’re magicians who make the magic happen.
If you’ve got a shipping challenge, we’d love to solve it. Give us a call at 844.7VESTRA (783-7872), and we’ll outline your options for how we can best solve your shipping puzzle!